Boston Celtics Aiming To Surpass Previous Season's Unforeseen Success


Boston Celtics Aiming To Surpass Previous Season's Unforeseen Success 
via Basketball Addiction






Tuesday, 2-August-2016


Jae Crowder's "We're one superstar" comment was a good description of how the Boston Celtics played last season.


"There’s a lot of talk about we need a superstar and stuff like that. But all five guys on the court are so locked in and so engaged that we’re one superstar," Crowder said on the eve of the trade deadline earlier this year. "We all play together."

The mantra worked for a team that has no true superstar. Even with injuries creeping in after the trade deadline, they ended the 2015-2016 season with a 48-34 record - good enough to get the number 5 seed.

The team was an unforeseen success, but after the Boston Celtics' eventual loss to the Atlanta Hawks in the 1st round of the playoffs, Isiah Thomas admitted they need more talent to go even further.


"I love the guys, but we do need a little more," Thomas said. "[Celtics president of basketball operations] Danny [Ainge] will do his part, I know he will, and we’ll get even better."

Danny Ainge indeed did his part when Boston signed Al Horford to a 4 year, $113 million deal. Horford adds another all-star to the team gives a much needed help in rim protection. The move pushed the team up the power rankings significantly, but even then, Ainge said they're not done making changes yet.


"We need more shooting. We have some guys who are versatile and can play center and 4 [power forward]. We can use a stronger center, and those are the two biggest things. Maybe another ball-handler as well."

Danny Ainge also recently went to San Diego and rumors abound that he was meeting with some NBA stars who were (incidentally?) near the vicinity:
Kevin Love 
Jimmy Butler 
Russell Westbrook 
DeMarcus Cousins

All these players fit Ainge's description in one way or another but nothing is confirmed yet. Isiah Thomas also showed willingness to help in the recruitment process and expressed interest in the veteran NBA champion Jason Terry:


"I'm trying to see who's out there, man. I'm trying, I'm trying to get some guys out there," Thomas said. "I know a few guys out there that want to play with Boston. If those guys need me to call anybody or reach out to anybody, I'm all ears and a helping hand.
I don't know who would help, but anybody that can put the ball in the basket from 3 would definitely help us and our spacing. I know there is an old guy out there named Jason Terry -- he can still hit some shots. That's my old head. I know there's some shooters out there that can put the ball in the basket and hopefully we can get our hands on them."

The Celtics is definitely not done making changes, and looks like they're heading into the right direction. As to how these changes translate to regular season success, all we can do is wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment